Forums » Elder Scrolls

Is the night mother Mephala?

• 1913 posts
    March 2, 2013 12:05 AM EST
    From what I understand, Mephala created the Morag Tong... But a sect of them broke off to worship an aspect of Mephala known as the night mother and Sithis... Am I wrong? Do we do 2 quests for Mephala?
    • 158 posts
    March 2, 2013 12:28 AM EST

I thought Sithis was like, the embodiment of death, compared to Mephala who is a daedroth prince

• 1913 posts
    March 2, 2013 12:31 AM EST
    I saw her more as a DAEDRIC prince, but daedroth is fine :P
  • March 2, 2013 12:35 AM EST
    The Night Mother was Airdrie Stronach who killed her five children in the name of Sithis, thus performing the first Black Sacrament. Also the Dark Brotherhood are enemies with the Morag Tong.
    • 1913 posts
    March 2, 2013 12:37 AM EST
    But I thought they were originally the Morag tong but then split?
    • 158 posts
    March 2, 2013 12:44 AM EST

The morag tong kill in the name of Mephala, the dark brotherhood in the name of sithisĀ 

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Morag_Tong

And the dark brother hood had religious differences with the morag tong, and broke off, although this isn't 100% confirmed

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Dark_Brotherhood

• 34 posts
    March 2, 2013 3:52 AM EST

think of Sithis as the guy at a party who sits in the corner and wishes he has friends, cursing those who don't talk to him with death threats. Mephala is the girl who sleeps with all her friends and is resented by the few who don't.

• Tim
    • 89 posts
    March 2, 2013 1:44 PM EST

There is no one answer, by some accounts the Night Mother is Mephala, but this theory is suspect to me because the Night Mother's body was buried in Bravil, and later carted about by Cicero. I'm pretty sure a Daedra Lord wouldn't have a mortal corpse.

The best theory in my estimation is that Night Mother is an immortal spirit of someone who was once mortal, most likely the individual that Matt mentioned, who then became the bride of Sithis. Sithis presumably granted her spirit the divine power needed to hear the prayers of people needing assassinations and relay that information the the Brotherhood.

The Dark Brotherhood basically worships death itself (Sithis) whereas the Morag Tong answer directly to a Daedra Lord. Sithis simply enjoys death, the Night Mother is his messenger so to speak. Mephala on the other hand is a bit more specific in her goals and intentions and has fun causing trouble for mortals.

• 1 posts
    May 31, 2013 11:39 AM EDT

It's been hinted at a few times, but there's very little soild evidence. The one thing that gets me, is that, in Daggerfall, the Dark Brotherhood worships Mephala. Of course, the real world answer is that the concept of the Night Mother and the Black Hand hadn't been invented back then.