Forums » Elder Scrolls

Bad main quest

• 26 posts
    February 26, 2013 6:20 PM EST

Yes, when you have someone standing over you ready to chop off your head.  My first reaction and every time I played was. "Thank the gods that dragon appeared and attacked." That dragon was a friend as far as I was concerned. He actually saved my life. It certainly did not inspire me to go out hunting dragons to kill them.  All I wanted to do was get out of there.  No hero was I if he wiped out all those Imperials that was fine by me.

• 153 posts
    February 26, 2013 6:59 PM EST
    This what I am talking about!
    • 26 posts
    February 26, 2013 8:55 PM EST

Been thinking about this and I think the Dragonborn quest line could have been better done by integrating it into the sandbox play.  You escape Helgan, Maybe pick up a shout if you do the Golden Claw quest or go to Whiterun and get the quest for the shard.  No dashing off to the West Tower but you are hunted by dragons, low level ones to start with.  The dragons instinctively know when someone is the Dragonborn.  Now being rescued by a dragon is quite different from being hunted by them.  That would get annoying.  "Why are they hunting me?"  "What did I ever do to them?"  You finally manage to kill one or at least help to kill one.  You absorb the dragon soul.  "Hey what happened?"  Someone calls you the Dragonborn.  The Greybeards do their calling shout.  So you now set out to find out what this is all about.  

I just never found the Dragonborn quest line particularly important.  The civil ware seemed much more important to me.  That made sense had a touch of realism to it.

• 118 posts
    February 27, 2013 2:06 AM EST
    It's strange how almost every npc has something to say about the civil war, yet the most you hear about the whole dragon return is a few npc's mentioning they are somewhat annoying. I mean in nord culture it is firmly established that the dragon return signals the end of times yet only a few people (outside of the main quest line I mean) ever seem to bring it up.

Adrianne has probably asked me if I've met her father a good 500 times yet doesn't seem to have an opinion on the whole 'dragons killing everyone' thing. In solitude, the capital of skyrim and the headquarters of the imperial army, almost nobody seems to even notice that there are dragons everywhere...they're too busy calling ulfric a dick.

A little more urgency would do wonders for the main quest line. As it is now you can completely avoid continuing it and nobody seems to care. Perhaps it's a bit drastic (and goes against the whole sandbox genre) but I always thought something like having another city/village destroyed every few weeks would create that sense of urgency and heroism.

Damn, 3 more towns have been destroyed? Better stop breaking into people's houses and get to figuring this whole 'dragon born' thing out.
    • 153 posts
    February 27, 2013 3:37 AM EST
    That sound like a cool idea.
    • 26 posts
    February 27, 2013 9:14 AM EST

Well said.  If the Dragonborn quest line was intended to be the main quest if failed in my opinion.  To me the civil war felt more like a MQ.  You had to make a choice there Imperials or Stormcloaks.  There was moral ambiguity involved.    You met refugees fleeing from the war but I don't recall any saying they were fleeing because a dragon attacked their village.

Some of the dialogue after you killed a dragon and absorbed its soul was hilarious.  "Wow I never saw any thing like that!  You're the Dragonborn."  Then a guard tells you to move along, not cause any trouble or be careful.  Even insulting remarks depending on the character you were playing.  "Hey guys, I just killed this blood dragon and saved you and your town what about a little respect and appreciation?"

In answer to the OP question there are plenty of dragons in Skyrim they just aren't very important.

• 153 posts
    February 27, 2013 6:55 PM EST
    So true!!!