Forums » Elder Scrolls

How can TES VI replace shouts?

• 153 posts
    February 6, 2013 4:19 AM EST

Everyone likes the shouts that add new "spells" but how can Bethesda match this awesomeness in the next game?

Gadgets, new spells or something else.

What do you think?

• 773 posts
    February 9, 2013 11:28 AM EST
    Interesting question.

I'll give this a bump to see if anyone has any thoughts.....
  • TZ
    • 28 posts
    February 9, 2013 11:39 AM EST
    Will there even be a TES VI? With TES Online, I sadly think that will be the last TES game until the next TES Online game to replace it.
    • 1 posts
    February 9, 2013 11:49 AM EST

I find it hard to believe that Bethesda will make TES a MMORPG only kind of game, if that makes sense, doing that reduces the amount of people that can play the game, because not everyone is going to have a computer and those that do some of them might not be able to handle the game itself. Not only that but some people don't like MMORPGs me being one of them, might give this one a go though. Bethesda knows that people like to roleplay and immerse themselves into the game and and one immersive aspect is 1st person view and in TES Online from the videos i've seen you can't do that. I predict after the new consoles come out Bethesda will release a new TES game. I could continue on but you get the point i was getting at.

• 1913 posts
    February 9, 2013 11:50 AM EST
    Like bioware did (under EA's orders). They are no longer making only single player games.
    • 773 posts
    February 9, 2013 11:50 AM EST
    Ben is right - there will definitely be more single player games.

Why wouldn't there be? Theyre a license to print. Also don't forget that ESO is being made by Zenimax, not Bethesda!

Now, on the topic.....
    • 153 posts
    February 9, 2013 12:47 PM EST

thank you ben for reassurance

• 153 posts
    February 9, 2013 12:48 PM EST

paul always with the facts

• 153 posts
    February 9, 2013 1:00 PM EST

I read TIME magazine (i know how posh) and apparently sony is making a new type of definition of tv. super hd or 4xd or something like that. practically the thing that makes this new TV so SUPER is that for each pixel on an hd tv there are 16 on the super HD. picture skyrim, on an hd tv, and its graphics times 16. I don't know about you but that is super, super good. so to put the pieces together, Ps3 and possibly x-box will have super graphics on the next tes game in about 5 or so years (basing on the fact that beth goes TES-FALLOUT-TES).

anyway i agree ben there should be real difference between each race but equal. so nords have shouts, altmer have bonus spells (unique to them), bosmer (if they can have special bow and nature powers) and the rest can have other powers

• 6 posts
    February 9, 2013 1:10 PM EST

If it is based in Blackmarsh, then there will be lots of emphasis on The Hist.  I could see various powers of The Hist or something along those lines.  Especially with Argonians!

• 153 posts
    February 9, 2013 1:13 PM EST

if it is in valenwood (like people voted for in a poll a while back) then they can have the ignam (monkey men) and maybe khajiit and argonians fighting.

• 6 posts
    February 9, 2013 1:23 PM EST

That'd be interesting.  But i'm talking about something to replace shouts (like powers).

• 153 posts
    February 9, 2013 1:26 PM EST

yeh like i said maybe each race should have unique powers and spells that can't be given to other races, like nords have a few shouts as to not get make them the ideal race. just had an idea how about argonians can fight underwater while other races can't so they make good tactical warriors

• 6 posts
    February 9, 2013 1:30 PM EST

What you said about Argonians fighting underwater made me have an awesome idea.  What if Argonians could execute stealth moves from underwater and drag the enemy under water, slit their throat/drown them, and hide the body all silently!

• 153 posts
    February 9, 2013 1:35 PM EST

yeh exactly that would make people care for argonians

#emer LOL

• 153 posts
    February 9, 2013 1:38 PM EST

darthdader if u read the earlier comment on the new graphics it would look like real water ripples and such, how awesome.

maybe bosmer can do like a drop assassination and hide their bodies in trees and such

• 153 posts
    February 9, 2013 1:42 PM EST

yeah but nothing so stick and bones if you know what i mean. like the tree idea though

• 57 posts
    February 9, 2013 1:47 PM EST

A very good question. I have been wondeing about this long before and I still dont have any idea how could they replace the shouts. Maybe they just wont include it in the next games, but im not really sure.

• 57 posts
    February 9, 2013 1:53 PM EST
    Yeah but the tv is worth $20,000
    • 856 posts
    February 9, 2013 1:55 PM EST

Good question. 

This may be approached a number of ways. One, they will be omitted and nothing used to 'replace' them.  I have my doubts about this method, but it is a possibility for future ES series.  Shouts enable non-spellcasters to be able to have many spell-like effects, this in a way cheapens spell-casting.   To feature spell-casters more, the shouts could be omitted or some of the shout abilities could be changed to spells.   The earlier ES series did fine without shouts, but it's hard to take away something (spears) that you've already given the players.

Secondly, depending on when (in Tamriel time) we see ES VI, they could keep the shouts in game.  This would work best if the time setting was a short time after Skyrim's or even concurrently.  No reason we couldn't have dragonborns all over Nirn.  I don't think Bethesda will go this route, though; they like building their next game 'from scratch' (anew).

Or another possibility is Bethesda creates a new set 'powers' for the character to have. Here the possibilites are endless and can be explained in different ways.   Most likely they would keep some of the basic shout effects but change them up a bit, and they would add new effects.  Here are some brainstorm ideas about how a character gained powers:  Ancient Dwemer device(s) captures and 'alters' the player, special potion made from histsap and moonsugar,  as a magical side-effect or magical experiment goes awry, aedra/daedra intervention.  Bethesda creating a new set of powers shouldn't be too difficult, leaves open options, and could be explained any number of ways - this is their most likely option.

The thu'um had already been mentioned in the lore prior to ES V;  I am curious if lore contains any predicitons (or tales) of heroes with other unusual powers.  If we can find some examples we may get an idea of possible paths Bethesda may take.

• 856 posts
    February 9, 2013 1:58 PM EST

I like the idea of the race ability tree, take note *BETHESDA*.  And they could implement this in addition to any powers or abilities that they incorporate into ES VI.

• 81 posts
    February 9, 2013 2:04 PM EST

If it has something to do with dwemer maybe the player could find small devices that give him thu'um like powers.

• 153 posts
    February 9, 2013 2:06 PM EST

good ideas rune

well there definitely wouldn't be shouts as the dragonborn in tes V is the very last one.

maybe a wayto spice things up, they can have different lycanthopy based on race: bosmer-werevulture, argonian-werecroc, skyrim-werebears, imperial-werewolves, other-werewhateveranimalcomestomind?

• 81 posts
    February 9, 2013 2:09 PM EST

Maybe he's the last as in the latest,

• 153 posts
    February 9, 2013 2:13 PM EST

!!!!!!OK RULE TO THIS DISCUSSION!!!!!

THIS DISCUSSION IS ON HOW BETHESDA REPLACE SHOUTS

NOT HOW SHOUTS CAN BE IN THE NEXT GAME