Forums » Elder Scrolls

Character Building and Breaking the Mold

• 17 posts
    January 30, 2013 9:52 AM EST

The character building page is probably the most popular page on the Skyrimblog.  In fact, many of us have found the blog because we were searching the internet for a specific build.This is true for good reason. Most of the builds are amazingly creative and fit a unique role.

One aspect that determines the completeness of a build is the racial suggestion. Usually, the builder puts one or more options for a race that fits the build, either for racial abilities or for pure role playing purposes. Many of the comments that follow the build are often questions about the racial choice.

Here's my question to you: have you ever created a build (personally, not necessarily on the blog) and chose a race that DOES NOT quite fit? Skyrim gives us the unique ability to break the role and create something purely unique. I did this once. I created an Orc Nightblade specifically because it didn't cleanly fit the role. It took me longer to level certain skills, but I found it really fun.

Have you ever broken the mold like this? If so, explain what you did, why you did it, and how it went for you.

• 1913 posts
    January 30, 2013 9:57 AM EST
    My character build, the Sisters of Order, is capable to play as all races. It is for rolepla since it is an all female group of assassins, race and religion do not matter.
    • 1913 posts
    January 30, 2013 9:57 AM EST
    If you want to check it out, it should be in the adept section
  • January 30, 2013 9:58 AM EST
    My Keerilth Bosmer is a barbaric and cruel vampire, doesn't exactly fit the nature loving Wood Elves.
    • 1913 posts
    January 30, 2013 10:02 AM EST
    Bosmer go to war with each other and when one side wins they eat the dead... Aren't barbaric you say?
  • January 30, 2013 10:06 AM EST
    No, their cannibalism is respectful and part of their religion, my version is more "Screw it, you're tasty" sort of thing.
    • 131 posts
    January 30, 2013 10:14 AM EST

I've "broken" the mold a few times on a few different builds. Mostly due to my love of the Nords so if I can make it work I go for it 

• 1913 posts
    January 30, 2013 10:16 AM EST
    There is also their blood rage, the wild hunt. Not barbaric at all
  • January 30, 2013 10:19 AM EST
    That's a last resort and something they would prefer to never have to use.
    • 856 posts
    January 30, 2013 10:23 AM EST

Most Bosmer eat only meat, btw.

• 856 posts
    January 30, 2013 10:29 AM EST

Oh, good.  (I should've realized that...)

• 856 posts
    January 30, 2013 10:39 AM EST

I break the mold quite often, probably at least half of my characters do not fit the 'norm'.  I do it to experience the role-play.  One of my favorites was my orsimer mage (backstory), he really dislikes performing manual labor, wears the finest clothes, speaks - er...welll, he thinks its eloquently, etc.  Other notables:  Altmer warrior (no magic), and an very honest (never committed any crimes), generous (left money in homes), non-stealth melee warrior Khajiit.

Oh, and for the record, playing the orsimer mage was/is fun - great roleplay.

• 490 posts
    January 30, 2013 10:40 AM EST
    I always thought Khajiit were solely used for sneak assassins/thieves until I made my Ka Po Tun. It was awesome and eye opening.
    • 856 posts
    January 30, 2013 10:46 AM EST

His inaccurate choice of words gets him into trouble, a lot - in conversations I often select the one that differs from what he actually intends to say.

• January 30, 2013 10:51 AM EST
    I think Kyrielle is the only one who can match Vix's lore knowledge.
    • 952 posts
    January 30, 2013 11:27 AM EST
    Well, he does really enjoy writing so he probarly has a lot of experience and knowledge about writing. He's writing something now in fact, a book I think it was, that's why he's not here that much.
    • 557 posts
    January 30, 2013 12:33 PM EST

Well, I use the race that everyone else seems to extremely dislike, so I would say that most of my builds "break the mould" of that type. 

• 32 posts
    January 30, 2013 1:32 PM EST

I broke the mold on a couple of builds, I mostly use Nord so just about every build I've made is Nord raced.

• 557 posts
    January 30, 2013 1:46 PM EST

Just play as one!

• 32 posts
    January 30, 2013 2:38 PM EST

No such thing as too much mold-breaking, all the molds must be broken! lol

• 557 posts
    January 30, 2013 2:55 PM EST

That would be too much. 

• 277 posts
    January 31, 2013 2:30 AM EST

My dragon sage is an argonian. :))

• 271 posts
    January 31, 2013 8:46 AM EST
    That strange moment that appears when you realize that you're playing a 'priestess of Dibella'-build as an male argonian. -_-
    • 1 posts
    January 31, 2013 1:02 PM EST

Absolutely, Redguard Assassin Bow/Illusion Mage "Morine". Good fun. :-)

• 291 posts
    February 1, 2013 12:04 AM EST

Eh.  I'm not sure they'd always see it as a gift.  They never talk about it.  To anyone.  It seems like they're highly embarrassed about the whole thing.  Like when you walk into a conversation you wish you had never heard, but...as we all know...what has been heard cannot be unheard.

It's not like they get to go all badass and kill only their foes.  They kill everything including each other when it's all said and done.  The Wild Hunt is a blight upon their record, for each one creates a new horror in the world, and don't you just feel so proud to make something as horrific as a centaur with spines, tentacles, and a maw in its stomach?  I didn't think so.

Anyway, it was a typical Bosmeri kind of tale, where the elf outsmarts the foe.  In this case, they outsmarted Y'ffre by eavesdropping on the secrets of the earth bones so they didn't have to keep a stable form.  Y'ffre could have left them as is, but that shifting nature must have been very dangerous and I wonder how close the race came to extinction just from destroying itself.  So, in order to prevent this, the Green Pact was made such that, so long as the Bosmer protecting Y'ffre's Nirn-bound realm, he would prevent them from destroying themselves by turning into horrible beasts.