Forums » Elder Scrolls

• December 21, 2011 10:44 PM EST
    Does anyone else think that the quests in skyrim r just a little Bis boring? I remember when I played oblivion I would write down what quest I wanted to do,and I would think about how lucien lachance got brutally murdered,and how it was partly my fault. While in skyrim quests I never feel part of what's happening and it just seams they had no idea how to end there quest lines in skyrim. I've completed all off the guilds now and in none of the final missions anything actually great happens. Well ok. Some stuff. But nothing that feels personnel. I could play oblivion for hours but skyrim gets boring after about 4-5h(I have holidays) Maybe I just found out to much about the game pre release,or I've just played oblivion to much(if that's possible) But does anyone else think skyrim quests when you really think about it are a bit dull?     
    • 66 posts
    December 21, 2011 11:22 PM EST

Seriously?

I just completed the companions quest series, it was awesome becoming a werewolf.

And completing an assassination gifted to me by the night mother is incredibly satisfying, every time I send a soul to the dread father Sithis.

So, no Skyrim's quests are not dull at all. Would you prefer to go through a small set of scripted battles with barely adequate voice acting and no immersion? - along with proceduraly generated scenery and an all imposing feeling that it's just "been churned out for christmas"

lol sorry that last bit was me just having a rant about all the other games that were released around Skyrim's release and christmas.

• December 22, 2011 12:00 AM EST
    Haha,Yeah,no skyrim definitely is the best game around right now,and cos of the night mother quests I feel like you earn the tittle of listener to fast,I don't feel like you actually earn it. And no brotherhood assassinations really stand out,I remember some oblivion brotherhood quests,like killing the people at that party in skingrad,or hunting down that family of the old women that lives in apple watch farm. I agree on point of the voice acting, a lot better now. But uhhh,I don't know. Im definitely jealous of u people who can play the game without being board by it. Definitely gona try and keep playing,maybe start over.
    • 577 posts
    December 22, 2011 12:00 AM EST

I can see what you mean, but I don't agree and I like how it is. Granted there could be a little more meat on the bone with some of the guilds quest, although DB was pretty "meaty".

I played the shit out of Oblivion and it's been almost 2-3 years since I've played it. (dabble a little before Skyrim just to get my TES fix). I do recall Oblivion seem to have alot more different paths in a quest. Like you had options on how to finish such and such. There seemed to be two ways to get/finish the quest/objective. Alot of times there was a "long way" and a "short-cut" (Fallout had some of this action also) I don't know, I like Skyrim. It doesn't ruffle my feathers.

• 29 posts
    December 22, 2011 2:02 AM EST

Where do I begin? For one, I felt NO remorse for the death of Lucien Lechance. The idiot got what he had coming to him. Second, I have felt a part of the world from the very beginning. I have not felt THIS immersed in a world since I played Fable III. And finally, every single quest in Skyrim is EPIC! *SPOILERS* Killing Alduin, disabling the Eye of the Magus, releasing the soul of Kodlak Whitemane from Hircine's realm...WHAT about that sounds un-epic?

• December 22, 2011 2:49 AM EST
    Yeah that's one of my ehhh "irritations" I find that alduin haha *MORE SPOILERS* just being back because those three heroes from back then messed up and sent him into the future is a bit cheap,and it seams like the elder scroll was just thrown in for the heck off it,I wish there would have been something more 2 it like that...granted I can't think of anything right now,and sovenguard(howdouwriteit) was very nice,good idea. But walking up 2 it was a bit disappointed, it felt like someone had just quickly thrown up a cheap world and filled it with some smoke,on spore. Ohhh and sound is epic,but personally I prefer some off the oblivion music,but the dragons sound amazing. But I'm nagging 2 much now,it is a great game and after all I'm still playing it
  • December 22, 2011 2:51 AM EST
    ...and why did Lucien have it coming? Not like he was guilty or anything.
  • December 22, 2011 2:53 AM EST
    And the eye was All right 2 but again we never got to know what it was actually for,it was just taken away from us. "Oh well I guess your arch Mage now trall la la"
  • December 22, 2011 2:55 AM EST
    Ohh and why didn't the wurst continue eith the thalmer attacking the college cos u killed that A bloke,and you need to convince the people of winterhold to help u or something?
  • December 22, 2011 2:57 AM EST
    Yeah I'm the only one who doesn't appear to prefer skyrim to oblivion,I mean it's even convincing hard core only shooter gamers.
  • December 22, 2011 3:01 AM EST
    Haha and Fable:the lost chapters was a lot better.
    • 29 posts
    December 22, 2011 3:26 AM EST

Think about it: I am a man who kills people... Are people going to kill me? NAAAAH! :P

• 1 posts
    December 22, 2011 4:05 AM EST

*Thieves Guild Spoilers*  I truly loved becoming a Nightingale in the Thieves Guild, so I can't say I agree. To me the Thieves Guild questline (at least the last half part) was involving and interesting to say the least. Joining forces with Karliah (my favourite Skyrim character so far) and Brynjolf as the Nightingale Trinity in one of the last quests was a brilliant way of conclusion as well.

As it's the only guild I've completed so far, I can't speak for the other ones (and I'm avoiding reading the other comments due to spoilers :P ), but if they are at least remotely engaging as the Thieves Guild, I'm satisfied ^^

It should be said though that I roleplay my characters and I constantly reflect upon my characters situation (it's a great way to immerse yourself in the game), so my experience might be elevated quite a bit because of this :P

• 31 posts
    December 22, 2011 4:15 AM EST

For me it's the opposite. The quests in Oblivion felt like such a laborious chore. Now I relish the chance to enter a dungeon and unleash some carnage on the bandits inside.

• 24 posts
    December 22, 2011 4:57 AM EST

I like the quests. I like how I get to a certain area, I don't like to climb the mountains, it feels unnatural, poor horse climbing 90°. So I try to follow the road to get to my objective, it can be sweaty sometimes. Only to get to a mine or cave is entertaining, then the quests begins, I still find it interesting to search for an item an NPC requested. 

However personally I didn't like the Winterhold Mages questline. The first 2 missions were interesting, then I started to be a bit fazed, that's because I was only at level 12 or so and I found the enemies way too hard. 

• 577 posts
    December 22, 2011 9:22 AM EST

Does it bother you when you interact with people that they usually are continuing on with what they are doing? Perhaps you like the cut screens of their shoulders and face only like Oblivion when talking to them making you feel like you're getting more attention and involved, feeling more immersed with them? Hey, a small thing like that could change the way you "feel" about the game. Not trying to talk shit, just sounds like your character is not "feeling" the importance from the quest giver. I don't know, just something to think about. For some reason, if the stories were the same as in Skyrim, in Oblivion interaction/fomat, you wouldn't feel this way. You may not like the "delivery"? I don't know, just a thought.

• 739 posts
    December 22, 2011 9:45 AM EST

I love skyrims random encounters, if you travel down a long enough road you never know whats going to jump out at you and try and rip you a new one. I like how radiant story kicks in and assigns different locations to various quests, forcing you to live things differently each time you play.

The quests for the various factions are good but as ive said before, lack of guild rank requirements breaks true immersion and the pace at which you climb to the head of a guild is still far to fast and left me a little unsatisfied that i had really earned my place.

Ugh, another comment about Oblivion being a better game. I'd write an argument but it would be far to insulting.

• 426 posts
    December 22, 2011 10:20 AM EST

I think that if you rush into the questlines and just focus purely on them you would be able to clear them quite quickly and not really feel like your apart of the world. But in my case ive tried to balance the mix of scripted main questlines with misc objectives, becoming thane in all the holds and searching out all the words of power. My favorite would have to be the darkbrotherhood quests they where epic and the final quests were awesome i just wished there was more. SPOILER - running through the sanctuary killing imperials as my family fought around me in the flames of destruction. Seeing them transform into werewolves and get slain only to find myself escaping in the most morbid way top stuff.

• 9 posts
    December 22, 2011 10:33 AM EST

I partially agree with you.. when i finished the mages guild questline... i was disappointed..  when i finished the Main storyline... i was disappointed...  theives guild and DB were satisfying though..  I just felt like "hey im archmage...now what..."  and "Hey i defeated Alduin and saved skyrim....and no one cares..."  I got more recognition when ***SPOILER*** when i killed the entire Dark Brotherhood...(I have more than one character and no social life..lol)   I see what you are saying though.. But on the other hand the little stuff makes the game amazing.. for example.. daedric quests and just exploring... i have NEVER just explored.. i always do quests and try to beat the game.. but this was the first game where exploring was enjoyable and rewarding!

A few things to be improved... But still the best game ever!

• 18 posts
    December 22, 2011 12:09 PM EST

I think that the "generated" Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quests could be done better. I no longer find it immersive or satisfying when I assassinate a "Sad Farmer" etc. I also no longer find stealing items from buildings fun anymore either. It was fun when I had an actually quest which had some storyline to it, but now it just seems dull and boring. I just find myself completing the objective without even having a challenge.

• 9 posts
    December 22, 2011 7:40 PM EST

I get what you're saying. I feel as though the guild quest-lines are shorter for some reason. It's like I could sit down and finish all of the quests in one sitting. I feel that since it seems shorter that I don't get as immersed as I did in Oblivion. Another reason that I didn't feel as immersed is because they took away the different ranks of the guilds. I felt like I went from an initiate to the head of the guild. I think they made it like this on purpose though. By making the quest-lines a little shorter, it allows the guilds to feel more natural, flowing and not as stop-and-start. They probably made the guilds a little shorter because of how big the rest of the world is.

• 15 posts
    December 22, 2011 9:00 PM EST

You must not have been within the 5 mile blast radius of my rage at Astrid when Maro told me I'd been set up. I realized it when he stepped out, since she 'arranged' for it to be 'empty'. I blasted her with Unrelenting Force and pinned her to a wall with Ice Spike. 

This game could be half as interesting as it is, and it would still be 7X as interesting as most anything else.

I've not played through Oblivion, but I did try it at a friend's house, and I couldn't take it seriously. Those guards... I'll never forget the phrase "STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM!"

• 29 posts
    December 22, 2011 9:18 PM EST

I completely disagree.  Oblivion felt more generic.  All the quests feel more real to me.  I just wish wacky quests in Oblivion like Sheogorath's were more insane.

• 739 posts
    December 22, 2011 9:55 PM EST

Ugh!! People keep mentioning the 'O' word!!

• December 23, 2011 2:30 AM EST
    Yeah sure rollplayings what's it all about,and yeah the thieves guild is properly one of the better ones,I miss all the bribing from the oblivion thieves guild but other wise it's an improvement and I love there side jobs.