Forums » Elder Scrolls

What is one of the biggest disappointments in Skyrim?

• January 15, 2013 2:57 PM EST

Obviously some people will be like OMG HATE FOR SKYRIM DIE DIE DIE, and others will be like, fair point, I'd just like some opinions :)

Mine is the lack of Destruction spells and styles, I think they could of done a bit better with elements and amount of spells for certain types, like 3 different spells each Adept, Expert etc for each element.

• 133 posts
    January 15, 2013 3:13 PM EST

LIKE OMG HATE FOR SKYRIM LIKE TOTALLY DIE DIE DIE 

• 4 posts
    January 19, 2013 6:53 PM EST

THIS IS THE WORST GAME EVER LIKE TOTALLY WHERE ARE THE GUNS THERE IS ONLY SWORDS AND CRAP LIKE THAT THIS GAME IS HORRIBLE I GUESS I CAN PLAy COD NOW

CRUNCH

sorry bout that well that codkid wont hurt anyone ever again i guess its to tartarus with him

• 12 posts
    January 26, 2013 10:14 PM EST

I agree that the magic system is overly restrictive and limiting...  Spells don't become more powerful, you simply gain access to more powerful versions and gain an increased ability to fire more of them.

Some of the "more powerful" spells aren't even powerful, but you still need to have Conjuration of 50 for the ability to conjure a bow for example.

My main frustration is that the game encourages specialization through a very limited amount of perks.  If you hit level 31, you've got 30 perks, enough to "fill" a perk tree for around 4 skills, only around half a specialty such as "theif" or "magic" or "warrior" would use.  Of course, you'd much rather use 7 skills than 4, so you might fill 1, and then spread the rest out, never being able to max out all the skill perks for a Mage, despite all the skills being 100.

Despite this, the game doesn't provide for that type of specialization in practice.  A Mage and a Warrior are both "out-of-luck" when it comes to lockpicking if they don't put any perks there, they're going to be heavily restricted on the loot they can access.

There's no bashing a lock open for a warrior, or a scroll of open lock, or a spell for a mage.

Several skills that really aren't class-specific have been put into skill trees which might not be in your class.  

For example, speech isn't just something a Theif could use, nor is Alchemy.  Alchemy would be used quite often for Mages, but then your spreading out your skill points further.

In the end I wound up putting in a mod which allows me to use dragon souls for skill perks.  Even then, I get the feeling that I'm simply playing the game to gain the ability to use the fun parts of the game.  The fun parts are when the character hits about 30 and you can use those higher-end spells and skill-perks.

But then, once you hit 30, you've usually played through most of the class-specific quest-lines, the main quest, the civil war, and a few dozen misc random quests, and the game is mostly over.

It's like telling someone that if they work in this factory doing all the hard grunt work that once they've retired they can have the privilege of doing the fun jobs using the fun tools and equipment.  What's the point?

I do love many things about the game, but many others leave me feeling conflicted.  Most of the time I enjoy it better if I mod it out so that I get access to the "fun parts" right off the bat, and am able to do the actual quests with them, rather than after all those quests are finished.

My other big gripe is the UI, and how much  time I wind up sorting loot, crafting items, gems, alchemy ingredients.  It gets to be a chore when 1/3 of your time in-game is spent just stashing enough of your loot in a way that's organized so that you can actually go out and quest without being over-encumbered. 

Dan O.

• 409 posts
    January 26, 2013 10:32 PM EST
    Not to many complaints with this game other than the destruction tree is way to underpowered at higher levels without exploiting enchanting. I also dislike how in some skill trees you have to take crappy perks to get to the better ones, it really sucks when I am wasting skill points on a crappy perk.
    • 12 posts
    January 26, 2013 10:53 PM EST

I disagree on the Alchemy aspect and perks as mentioned above. I am currently level 50, and have 100 Alchemy, Enchanting, Smithing, 1hand, Archery, Heavy Armor and all the necessary perks with no issues, I have recently started the Sneak Tree and have 2 points invested there as well now...you just have to decide if you are going to go pure melee or be a hybrid caster...you cant have dominating in both and have it work

• 9 posts
    January 26, 2013 10:54 PM EST

LOL  #YoLoSwAgN0sc0pE360

• 12 posts
    January 26, 2013 11:01 PM EST

Take a look in the mods, there's a mod that addresses that specific issue.

Another one I rather like, replacing the bottom rung of certain perks which are essentially (Skill is 20% better, 30% better, 40% better, 50% better) with 5 ranks total, with one that levels automatically with 1 skill point.  This allows you to use those remaining 4 perks on other perks instead. 

And it's not completely game-breaking, the whole idea of increasing the skill is to make it more powerful, why tack on the need to spend a perk to do just that?

• 153 posts
    January 26, 2013 11:14 PM EST

THe vampiric drain spell in the vanilla. enough said

• 153 posts
    January 27, 2013 4:33 AM EST

MD if you get augment shock (2/2) shock storm can do 105 dmg/s and if taken with master destruction perk it only costs 69 (excuse the pun).

• 426 posts
    January 27, 2013 7:26 AM EST

I have to admit they did try a little bit more with the animation of the different spells but I was dissappointed with the quantity of spells. I was looking forward to combining two with one in each hand but that never came to be unfortunately. My biggest let down was the removal of the picklock and feather spells from alteration they were brilliant in oblivion.

• 409 posts
    January 27, 2013 7:34 AM EST
    Pune excused yes it is good for only 69 magic but it takes 2 hands to cast making it a lot harder to use in the middle of a fight. That and if you want range bows are a lot more useful end game.
    • 952 posts
    January 27, 2013 7:42 AM EST

Too much to list here, nonetheless it's still the best actual RPG I know.

• 153 posts
    January 27, 2013 9:11 AM EST

i guess but if you use ethernal before shock storm it can be used in combat, but I get your point. I heard dragonborn adds a lot of new spells

• 153 posts
    January 27, 2013 9:12 AM EST

can't u do that in dragonborn?

• 12 posts
    January 27, 2013 11:06 AM EST

Open spells in Oblivion weren't *that* great either...

They had 100% chance of success, which meant that you couldn't use an open advanced lock until you had advanced level Alteration.

Of course, once your Alteration hit "Advanced" you'd be sure to see "Expert" locks around.  The 1/4 of the locks in the dungeons were always just one step above you.

Morrowind's implementation was better IMO.  You could try to open that level 75 lock (Expert), with 25 Alteration, but you'd probably fail 9/10 times, but then you'd get it, and you'd boost your alteration in process.

Or, alternatively you could buy / enchant / loot a scroll that could open it instead.

Then again, Morrowind had levitation, Mark and Recall constant effect levitation, feather, and such.

I like that Skyrim's spells are animated, and no longer limited to "on target" vs "on touch" and can be fired in a stream such as sparks and flames.  I like the runes, they're a load of fun.  But I still feel it's missing a bit in diversity, and I want higher powered sparks / flames!

• 7 posts
    January 31, 2013 2:13 AM EST

I'd really like a way to open locked doors and chests using magic or "bashing" them with a weapon. And like some other posters said: the magic spells are really over simplified, to the point that playing as a pure spell caster is pretty lame, especially compared to Oblivion and Morrowind. I also don't like how the unarmed melee combat works or the lack of unarmored skill, forget ever playing a monk.

But these are all minor complaints compared to how great a game I think Skyrim is.

• 67 posts
    January 31, 2013 11:11 AM EST

that would be awesome, especially fighting high numbers of falmer, where you have little time to stop and charge a fireball/incinerate spell

• 40 posts
    February 1, 2013 9:52 PM EST

I just found out that augmented perks taken in the destruction tree does not increase many of the destruction spells such as: Cloak spells, Rune spells and even wall spells are up for debate.

I even read somewhere that bolt spells didn't seem to increase either. Rather disappointing that many destruction spells would not increase with those perks. Also, I agree with the lack of how many spells there are in this category.

However, they do increase damage to weapons when enchanted. Odd, I thought. I have a character I was going to play with ONLY runes, cloak and wall spells. Guess I won't be taking any of the augmented perks.

If I am wrong about this please someone tell me....say it isn't so...

• 739 posts
    February 1, 2013 10:02 PM EST

They do Glimmer, they just dont appear in your displayed effects in the game...

Cloak spells all go to 12dps with the augmentations. With aspect of terror a flame cloak can do 22 dps and there is even a slim chance that the +10 is boosted as well so it could even be 27dps....

I haven't tested runes enough to know for sure but the wiki now says that the augmentations effect them...

I'm also pretty sure wall spells are effected but they are unreliable for the most part so I don't use them...

We would need Nikolaj to help us out to know for sure...

• 1913 posts
    February 1, 2013 10:11 PM EST
    Well I'm not that intelligent when it comes to games, so dumbing it down was no problem to me. Plus, it's still 150 dungeons, they could have easily just put in 10, so why complain about it? Never played Morrowind, and I don't plan on ever playing it for multiple reasons (A. I don't like how it looks on a visual level B. I didn't care for the story when I read up about it, why would I want to play through a boring story? C. Do not have an Xbox and I'm not sure if it would work on the 360)
    • 133 posts
    February 1, 2013 10:14 PM EST

I have Morrowind and it works on my 360 just fine.

• 1913 posts
    February 1, 2013 10:14 PM EST
    That's one reason down
    • 739 posts
    February 1, 2013 10:20 PM EST

I can understand you not wanting to play Morrowind because of the gameplay and graphics but the storyline is actually pretty awesome Bryn.

I used to drag my ass into these 'dumbing down' debates all the time, I don't have the energy these days.

I'll sum it up...

Played Morrowind for years and was very let down with Oblivion. The mood was wrong and the actors were all bright and cartoony, it didn't have the depth I enjoyed so much with M. You could really get lost in Morrowind, like REALLY lost. People say that they feel isolated sometimes in Skyrim but it's nothing compared to how alone Morrowind could make you feel, no Lydia coming to save you in Morrowind.

All in all though, Skyrim has been the best of my three experiences...

• 1913 posts
    February 1, 2013 10:25 PM EST
    I actually liked oblivion... It just took forever for me to level up. Maybe I just sucked at the game, but it took me half a month in order to get to Lvl. 9