Forums » Elder Scrolls

What is your favorite style? Mage,warrior, or stealth?

• 11 posts
    January 12, 2013 2:44 PM EST

I didn't mean to suggest that melee is weak, it's just not my favorite way of tackling enemies in Skyrim. :)

• 11 posts
    January 12, 2013 2:58 PM EST

I consider those tactical issues you mention basics for everyone who's playing a heavily melee-orientated character. Some of those strategies are also used by stealth/magic-orientated characters (the divide & conquer and know-your-enemy tactics). Moreover, your last argument suggests that pure melee classes are one trick ponies (get in there, kick some *** and move on, or die) because they don't have an ace up their sleeve..

Yet again, this is my opinion. I can respect yours as well 

• January 12, 2013 4:24 PM EST
    I like stealth but now I'm into warrior with a bit of ice and conjuration to spice things up
    • 952 posts
    January 12, 2013 5:29 PM EST

I disagree that they don't have an ace up their sleeve, because no type of character has an ace up their sleeve.

• 11 posts
    January 12, 2013 5:55 PM EST

If we limit ourselves to the prototypes:

Mages can switch between spells to gain an advantage in battle ( Enemy resistant to 1 particular element? Switch to another, Got in a situation you can't handle? Use illusion/alteration(paralyze) to escape or raise an army. And so on...) Not to mention, they have enchanting.

Stealth characters can use sneak (to get massive damage output, to cross complete areas unseen, to flee if necessary,..) and use alchemy (to make unrivaled potions, to poison everyone who gets in their way,...). Furthermore they can use their mobility to outmaneuver almost every enemy..

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't see a Warrior being that polyvalent. Sure, they get great skills for dishing out and absorbing damage and coupled with smithing you can get very impressive results. But should that fail, they have nothing to fall back on other than jumping on a rock and harass the enemy with ranged weaponry (but the mage and thief can do that as well, maybe even better). 

Warriors do make strong/fun to play characters, I just find them less versatile all in all.

• 773 posts
    January 12, 2013 5:59 PM EST

I'm thinking of making this topic into a poll

What options do people think should be in the poll as well as 'pure mage', 'pure warrior' and 'stealth'?

• 773 posts
    January 12, 2013 6:02 PM EST

What about assassin? Archer? Monk? Paladin? Unarmed?

• 11 posts
    January 12, 2013 6:03 PM EST

You could add the hybrids,

Mage-Warrior (Sellsword/Battlemage/...)

Mage-Stealth (Nightblade/Vampire/...)

Stealth-Warrior (Assassin/...)

• 291 posts
    January 12, 2013 6:05 PM EST

Stealth ftw.  I can't NOT sneak.  My favorite thing to do, especially at low levels, is to go places I shouldn't and try not to be seen.  I love doing it in MMOs and I love doing it in Skyrim.  There's a serious thrill involved when I'm sitting there with something inches away from me, and if it sees me, I die horribly.  I'll hold my breath and wait forever until it turns the other way...then slowly creep away from it.

Unfortunately, after about level 30, Skyrim becomes a bit of a cake walk.  Even on Master.  And especially with followers.

• 1 posts
    January 12, 2013 6:07 PM EST

Ive always been a stealth guy. I love finding new innovative ways to take out groups of people. My favorite is still just shotgunning fury into a crowd and watching them kill each other as i antagonize them with arrows from the shadows. And its bow all the way, especially in sky rim. Its more challenging to get a stealth kill with a dagger but once u get the perks it is really over powered.

• 1913 posts
    January 12, 2013 6:10 PM EST
    Maybe I should make a discussion, "what is your favorite class type? Monk/paladin, Mage, nightblade, barbarian, rouge/bard, spellsword/battlemage, warrior, or archer?"
    • 773 posts
    January 12, 2013 6:11 PM EST

Hmmm it could become messy, I agree

Maybe I'll think of another poll topic 

• 952 posts
    January 12, 2013 6:49 PM EST

As a warrior you can completely change fighting style, maybe you know only 1 style but I don't. You can play aggressive with a 2hander, or defensive, or maybe a mix, you can dual wield for dealing a lot of damage at extreme speed, or you can turtle behind a shield to take barely any damage. Warriors are just as versatile as any other type of character. A weapon is a weapon, as a spell is a spell, you can change both to adapt to a situation.

• January 13, 2013 3:48 AM EST

mine is always a mix, I never go pure one thing. I'm not much of a magic wielder, So I like to pick and choose my battles between just ranged bow and arrow or run up hack and slash sword and board.

• 11 posts
    January 13, 2013 5:36 AM EST

I never said they that don't bring anything unique or powerful to the table (in fact they do, it's just not my way of playing). So i don't really get your point other than implying that I can't play a Warrior build.

• 11 posts
    January 13, 2013 6:00 AM EST

I must admit, you've got a point somehow. But for me those are just variations on the same principle..

Allow me to explain what I mean (by using a lame example):

Let's say you need to pay your aunt a visit, but she lives 50 km away from you. And let's say you decide that a car(metaphor for warrior in this case) is your means of transportation, you can take any car you want. So indeed, a Lamborghini doesn't feel the same way as a Mercedes-benz and a Toyota doesn't feel like driving a BMW. Or by taxi maybe. But you're still driving a car. 

Or you could use other means of transportation (metaphor for Mage and Thief) like the bus or train or your bike, which will give you a more different experience between each other than the difference between cars.

This is what i mean when I say that a Warrior isn't that versatile: sure you can switch between Two-handers, dual wielding, shield, etc but if you want to win the fight you'll need to get over there and hack your enemy to pieces. You almost always have to kill your opponents, whereas the Thief and the Mage have other means of accomplishing the goals.

• 952 posts
    January 13, 2013 6:16 AM EST

Your metaphor is completely wrong, it does not make sense. It only makes sense if you follow your proces of thougth which is completely wrong according to me and almost anyone else out there.

• 11 posts
    January 13, 2013 6:52 AM EST

And when did you became a representation for 'anyone else out there'? And if my metaphor is so horrible wrong why don't you correct it? Saying something sucks is one thing, but explaining why is an other matter entirely.. Maybe you're a little too narrow-minded to see it.  

Like I said before, I respect your vision on the topic, I don't ask you to agree with me, but a little respect for my vision would be nice..

• 952 posts
    January 13, 2013 7:19 AM EST

I never say that the metaphor sucks, I just say that it only works for the few ones that follow your method of thinking. In my opinion it's wrong because like I say, Warriors are just as versatile as mages and rogues. I don't understand why the mage and rogue are the 'bus, bike and train', and the warrior only the 'car' because this implies what I, together with many people here, find wrong.

• 11 posts
    January 13, 2013 7:46 AM EST

I guess we got off on the wrong foot. To me it just looked like that, Sorry my bad. 

• January 13, 2013 8:56 AM EST

I'm currently running an Argonian called Rex Raptor, who uses archery, atronachs and dual weilding XD

• 33 posts
    January 13, 2013 9:36 AM EST

Well in Oblivion, I preferred stealth over warrior or mage. but since skyrim came out and the graphics were good for the warrior and mage, I prefer a high breed, of spell sword or battle mage. but in most games, I prefer to use a bow as my weapon and shadow as my shield ;)

• 47 posts
    January 13, 2013 11:05 AM EST

Strictly mage, for me. I'm surprised to see that I am in a small minority with this. I just don't see the attraction in being a warrior; any fool can swing an axe, it's just donkey-work. Charmless and uninteresting. I can fight and be oafish in real life, if I want that experience. But to wield real power, to harness and direct the elements, to muddle the minds of my enemies and play with them like puppets - where else am I ever going to be able to do that? Ultimately what I want from games is experiences I will never have in the mundane world, and that is exactly what being a mage does for me. Plus it has far more potential for RP, at least in my mind.

• 81 posts
    January 13, 2013 2:22 PM EST
    I love stealth but I don't always use it. For example when I was playing Kingdoms of Amalur I didn't find being stealthy very fun because it felt too easy, I could kill an enemy in a really noisy way right next to another one but he wouldn't do anything because he couldn't see me. In Skyrim it's different though which is why I love stealth in Skyrim. Another game I had a lot of fun being stealthy was in Deus ex human revolution because I was terrified of being discovered.
    • 3 posts
    January 13, 2013 3:48 PM EST

I usually like having to balance a warrior/mage build. By later levels the character can get a bit OP but its still fun the have a fireball in one hand and a mace in the other.