Forums » Elder Scrolls

Which perks that you have chosen have turned out to be errors fo

• December 20, 2011 9:40 AM EST

Many of you had some time to plan your character while waiting November 11th. I surely had skills and perks mapped for my character - assassin-kind of khajiit-warrior with dual axes and bow who has great talent in smithing. Most of my character build turned out fine and I feel connected with my dragonborn (lvl 39 at the moment, 120+ hours).

Still there are some flaws in my constellation. For example I took the Sneak tree's Assassin's blade -perk, but I have to force myself to remember to use it. It doesn't add to my playstyle and doesn't fit to my character as well as I thought. I rather sneak attack from the distance. Still I feel obliged to use it AND carry around dual daggers for it. Also I put but 4 perks on Destruction, which I don't use anymore after I found spellbooks of bound weapons and got interested. Because I plan to play this character for a long time, I wish I'd put those perks on conjuration or enchanting.

On the other hand I put lots of perks in smithing on both branches - heavy and light -  just to progress with the skill faster. I don't have any use for dwarwen of orchish armor, but as making dragon scale armor was my top interests, I don't feel they were fruitless.

If you have similar experiences, feel free to share!

• 10 posts
    December 20, 2011 9:54 AM EST

I actually feel I've been very sensible about my perk-spending. Only regret I have is that I am getting too good at lockpicking, so I don't really need the perks in that tree. But it is only 3 I've spent, so it is not too much of a bother.

• 12 posts
    December 20, 2011 1:26 PM EST
    How does having perks in heavy and light smithing help you level the skill quicker? The dragon smithing perk requires daedric or glass, not both.

I am too cautious with using perks and keep a lot unused. After unlocking something I sometimes wish I did it a while ago. I like the challenge though.
  • December 21, 2011 2:59 AM EST

:) after I had emptied all malachite and moonstone mines, I needed some other high level material to work with.  And yes, it was also handy to be able to make an ebony war axe or two.

• 6 posts
    December 21, 2011 10:55 AM EST
    Your play style definitely determines which perks will be useful for you. However, there are some that I have found to be a waste regardless if my character. First, the lockpick tree. Picking isn't really that difficult to begin with and I always seem to find more picks than I can use. Also, the speech tree. I always have plenty if gold and nothing to spend it on, so the need for better prices is unnecessary. When I have to run up a 20k+ bounty just to spend some cash, I'm not easting perks trying to make mote money. And finally, I've found the light armor smithing irrelevant. My characters that use light armor wind up in thieves guild or db gear anyway.

On the other hand, I was pleasantly surprised with the impact dual casting for destruction spells. Its allowed my pure mage to overpower virtually everyone with spells as simple as firebolt.