Forums » The Lounge

Anyone know Cape Town, SA's best internet?

• 59 posts
    December 15, 2012 8:34 AM EST

Hello everyone! I am going to Cape Town for six months to do a internship. I want to get internet there but I don't know how or which companies are good. Does anyone live there on here that can help me get the best internet?

Thanks!

• 966 posts
    December 15, 2012 8:50 AM EST

Cape town, dangerous place. Be careful there. Sorry to say I don't know anything about how the providers there.

• 153 posts
    December 15, 2012 9:22 AM EST

more than half of my community (ha i'm jewish) is south african and they say that you are going to get murdered if you get robbed, toilets are rape houses and mugging is quiet common. don't know much about the internet, sorry.

GOOD LUCK

• 59 posts
    December 15, 2012 11:53 AM EST

Please do not tell me that its dangerous because I know it isn't as bad as people think. Why would my Uni recommend going there, why would people say its the perfect holiday spot if its that dangerous? I am sorry but I am really fed up of people telling me I am going to get my limbs chopped off because I am not; say be careful like Aludin has but thats it. Its not like more dangerous places in the world; its Cape Town not Afghanistan.  

• 59 posts
    December 15, 2012 11:55 AM EST

Thanks! I will =D I am staying in a home stay though the Uni so I am well looked after. Shuttle to and from my placement and airport and access to a safe ATM every month so all good here. 

• 952 posts
    December 15, 2012 3:00 PM EST

Watch our during the weekends, people over there literally just get drunk the entire weekend because that's their defenition of a weekend.

• 377 posts
    December 15, 2012 3:45 PM EST

Maybe you should do your own investigation on the place instead of just blindly trusting the uni. It has a rep for a reason.

• 952 posts
    December 15, 2012 3:53 PM EST
    It's not as terrible as everyone sais. Sure, there's crime there, but is it really dangerous? No.
    • 377 posts
    • 773 posts
    December 15, 2012 4:17 PM EST

Wow, there is a lot of negativity on this thread.

Listen, I'm sure Imeera is well aware of the dangers that exist in some parts of Cape Town, and will have thoroughly researched this before agreeing to the trip. From what I know of her on this site, she's an eminently sensible person who I'm sure will take proper precautions such as blindly wandering into bad parts of town on a Saturday night!

Anyway, having got that that off my chest, back to the actual topic - because I'm she sure wants to keep in touch with The Skyrim Blog (and other fine sites, of course) during her time abroad  Doing a bit of Googling I came upon this survey of the best ISPs in South Africa. Or how about the Top 10 free wifi hotspots in Cape Town?

Hope you manage to get something sorted Imeera, and we look forward to hearing how the trip is going from time to time.

• 59 posts
    December 16, 2012 4:12 AM EST

You are making assumptions on three news articles? And yes I will "blindly trust the Uni" because they would never send people into somewhere that was too dangerous and many other men and women have gone there before there and they loved it. And you may find this shocking but none of them were robbed, got raped or murdered and all of them made it back happy. Also Cape Town is not the most dangerous, Johannesburg is loads worse and probably where all the stories come from. Cape Town is build for tourists. And there are much worse places in the world than South Africa, these news clippings really are just uninformed b***s*** for the most part.

• 966 posts
    December 16, 2012 4:16 AM EST

In terms of crime rate Cape Town is doing better than most major American cities.

• 59 posts
    December 16, 2012 4:20 AM EST

I know, I am really annoyed that people keep saying things like that. What do they think I am? Stupid? xD So thanks to you, Sir Deiter and Aludin for beliving I have a brain =D

Thank you Paul for the links! Of course I do! ^^ I will be posting pictures if I can and I am sure I will get some form of internet. Me and a freidn are going halfsies on it while she is there.  

• 59 posts
    December 16, 2012 4:33 AM EST

Yeah it probably is. I forgot how high US crime rate was in places =[

• 59 posts
    December 16, 2012 4:52 AM EST

I did _ _;

• 377 posts
    December 16, 2012 5:02 AM EST

And that statement was founded on absolutely nothing. *sigh* I'm not saying that Imeera is stupid. I am saying that one should be aware of the locale they are going to and the dangers that are present. I lived in Brazil for 7 years and there's a lot of things one should know to not attract attention and have bad things happen to them. A lot of things...

We arrived in the airport in Rio, and in the baggage claim and right from the get go we had some things stolen from us. It was done stealthy but it was still a robbery. And that's a picnic compared to a lot of the other things that happen in Brazil.

When one moves from a 1st world country to a 3rd world country one has to adapt. I really recommend reading up on tips people offer to not attract attention and ways to avoid trouble.

It shows you didn't look at all the links, for only one is a news article. The one news article, the list of most dangerous cities, and the tourist guide recommendations was solely a point of reference. I already knew it was dangerous there; I have cousin who has lived there for the past 5 years. It's no secret it's a dangerous place. But with the proper precautions one can have an enjoyable time there.

• 966 posts
    December 16, 2012 6:06 AM EST

According to a third party company employed by the EU to get the best reading on crime rates atleast 3 of those cities should be replaced with American cities.

Crime is way worse in the U.S than you'd like to know, even worse is that about  75% of the crime isn't dealt with by police. There was a shitstorm on the news here when the U.S denied that company to measure crime rate and publish it. The UN had to step in to remind them that they had no right to do that. The crime rates they published in the end was shocking, even to me, and I never felt good about the U.S when it comes to crime rates.

Those links are silly and part of mainstream media. The only way to get proper information is via trusted third parties.

Yes Cape Town is dangerous, but it's a peaceful little town when compared to NY.

• 59 posts
    December 16, 2012 4:44 PM EST

Just wanted to say THANK YOU! I found a great provider thanks to your survey link =] 4Mbps for £28 a month. Awesome =D

• 162 posts
    December 17, 2012 2:33 AM EST

No, they just care 'bout you.

• 162 posts
    December 17, 2012 2:39 AM EST

Have a great time down there. I've seen that you've found a good provider so that's solved. (not that I know one from over there btw .)

We're (or at least I) are eager to hear about your adventures in Capetown.

• 661 posts
    December 17, 2012 2:51 AM EST

I know my free internet is the shit, but hey I live Canada, you ever hear of Saskatchewan I think its cheese or something.

• 59 posts
    December 17, 2012 3:49 AM EST

Thank you Asverze ^^ I will put them into blogs. I plan to finish a chapter of my story and maybe write a few more on the flight. Should keep me busy for a while! But then will be posting pictures and such of my travels.  I hope you enjoy them =]

• 59 posts
    December 17, 2012 3:51 AM EST

Haha no I haven't. Its a cheese? DOesn't really matter what it is; its still a pretty awesome name!