Forums » General Gaming

Anyone Miss More Frequent Music?

• December 18, 2011 7:34 PM EST

Anyone else miss the more frequent music, like in Morrowind. In Morrowind when I adventured the music played a good amount of the time, but in Skyrim when I adventure I miss the amount of music I heard in Morrowind. I cranked up the music slider but still I missed the music when it wasn't playing.

How do you feel about the frequence of music in Skyim?

• 6 posts
    December 18, 2011 8:57 PM EST
    Yea I do wish the music would play more often.
    • 577 posts
    December 18, 2011 9:21 PM EST

I like it the way it is! And actually I think it's really cool when there's no music. It only happens every once in awhile, but I really enjoy just the natural sounds of Skyrim. Especially when you're in the Rift with all the leaves shufflin around and the wind blowing, sound of the water in the creek. Don't get me wrong, I love the "soundtrack" to Skyrim. Think it's perfect, but that two minutes when there's nothing is bliss to me. Freaks me out a little. haha! I like it.

There was a guy on here that turns the music all the way down. I can understand that now. It REALLY intensifys the game. I haven't done it, but I may try it for a couple hours once.

• December 18, 2011 9:26 PM EST

I know what you mean, its just that I grew a love for the music of the elder scrolls from playing morrowind, whenever the morrowind adventuring music comes on in skyrim tears come to my eyes. :) (Usually, as long as I'm paying attention to it.)

• 739 posts
    December 19, 2011 10:45 AM EST

No, i really like what they have done with the music this time round, its has a much more smooth natural feel. Morrowind and Oblivion had very 'abrupt' changes in music that could actually became a little jolting and break immersion. Since playing a sneaky character ive noticed that i have to pay extra attention to my sorroundings now that i dont have my little 'music cue' to help me out.  I absolutely love that the dragons get their own sound track, that never gets old! Sometimes i even try to draw the battle out to get to the 'Dovahkin' part of the track, then i let rip with me axe!

• 577 posts
    December 20, 2011 8:16 AM EST

I would agree with you Mason on the 'abrupt' changes. It is in Skyrim a little, but not as bad as it's predessors.

I was watching some gameplay photage of a guy 'questing' in Skyrim, he entered a room and there was a sound that I've heard many times. Didn't think much of it, but he commented on "oh, there's something good in here." I can't remember what the sound was though. ha! But the point I'm making is the little subtle sounds of Skyrim that are cool.

• 856 posts
    December 20, 2011 8:29 AM EST

I have my music turned off.  I like the music, but having music in the background while I play the game, takes away from my immersion.  I intend on creating a bard character at some point - perhaps I'll turn the music on for him.

• 577 posts
    December 20, 2011 8:33 AM EST

That's right. You were the guy that turns the music off. At first I thought that was kinda ridiculous, but now I can see why. Kudos man!!!

• 426 posts
    January 22, 2012 1:52 PM EST

I think what they have done is brill the music adds to the drama and story well. When your just trekking around the noises of the world around build a soundtrack for you. If it was on more I dont think the dramatic music skyrim is becoming famous for wouldn't have the same impact.

• 577 posts
    January 22, 2012 2:50 PM EST

Bringing this thread out of the vaults! Nice!

• 426 posts
    January 22, 2012 2:55 PM EST

Yeah been looking over them seeing as Ive not been on here since the start.

• January 22, 2012 3:03 PM EST

Funny, now sometimes I play with the music off, you don't really notice it so I guess it is more emersive. I can always play my select songs from my copy of The Official Skyrim Soundtrack, Signed by Jeremy Soule himself

• 426 posts
    January 22, 2012 3:07 PM EST

Plug much lol  That was one hell of a name drop julian lol

Im going to have to give it go without the music see if it does make a difference.

• 577 posts
    January 22, 2012 3:50 PM EST

I wonder if that sound happens when you come across something good. You know, when you enter a room, it sounds kinda like a bomb went off in the distance? that means something tasty is in the room. I've fast travel to some open area places, like a springin location, and it will make that noise but I can't find anything. Anyway, I was wondering if that still aplys if the music is off. hell, I don't know if I'm making any sense! ha!

• 426 posts
    January 22, 2012 3:55 PM EST

lol @ ty tbh chief I cant say Ive ever noticed that sound. I jump everytime one of those foxes runs past me growling lol

• 8 posts
    January 22, 2012 4:06 PM EST
    I enjoy the music. Especially in some ancient ruins when the soundtrack becomes creepy and airy sounding. I might have to try without to see the difference.
    One funny thing that I remember is the first time I leveled up the crazy music that accompanied it made me literally jump because I thought I was being attacked at a very random moment... Haha
    • 426 posts
    January 22, 2012 4:10 PM EST

Yeah Im like you heather I leap out my skin when the music kicks in lol I think its because I'm so immersed in the world. The one that gets me is when you find a new location lol

• 14 posts
    January 22, 2012 4:10 PM EST

I prefer to play without music also.  Especially since I like to walk everywhere most of the time.  I do wish there was an option that automatically played music during dragon slaying though.  I know I can turn it up when a dragon comes along but that would be nice if it came on without stopping the game! 

• 8 posts
    January 22, 2012 4:25 PM EST
    Yeah the music when you find a new location is that creepy sounding music that can freak me out if it's unexpected (or late at night with the lights out haha). It adds to the whole "oooo it's a new place to explore and it's creepy...I should check it out..." it just gets me more involved in the game when I might have been spacing out.
    • 577 posts
    January 22, 2012 4:34 PM EST

yeah, when you open a door and that sound happens, good things. I think there's "sounds" for evilness also. It's hard to talk about them when you can't even explain what they sound like. Jumpy with a fox? Maybe you have the wrong enchament on you leggins?

• 426 posts
    January 22, 2012 4:36 PM EST

I usually ended up whipping my weapon out and spinning round looking for whatever beastie is running at me lol

• 426 posts
    January 22, 2012 4:40 PM EST

I will have to listen out for it. Is it only when you open a door?

I jump not my character you nutter lol 

• 577 posts
    January 22, 2012 4:45 PM EST

Naw, just when you enter an area. When your near something of importance, quest item, lvled weapon, etc. You'll know what I mean. It's kinda like that sound when you come across a new location.

• 668 posts
    January 28, 2012 7:38 PM EST

I guess I am the exception to the rule as I usually create my own soundtrack. I like to play with some Norma Jean, I Killed the Prom Queen, Disharmony (his voice is like a melodic dream, basically a raw metal soundtrack with some metal melody thrown in for good measure sometimes even a little Die Antwoord.