Forums » Elder Scrolls

Need tips concerning armor/alteration and illusion

• 3 posts
    October 22, 2012 3:56 PM EDT

Hello guys!

I'm toying with the idea of doing a Vampire Knight Build. I don't plan on using destruction magic, but I'll add necro conjuration.

However, since I'm still not that good with the game mechanics, I have a few questions:

Armor and alteration 

I always felt that that paralysis fits with an undead character so I might add alteration in my skills. I also like those magic resistance and atronach perks. If I add alteration, I might as well use the flesh spells and take the necro perk in restoration.

So here's my question: Is using flesh spells with heavy armor useful? I know there's an armor cap, so I thought maybe I should go with heavy armor (they like way cooler IMO) and save a few perks by putting less points in juggernaut. Is it a good idea? Should I go with light armor instead? BTW, I plan on using a 2-H weapon, so no shields

Illusion

I was thinking that since I'm a vampire (+25% illusion) I might be able to save a few perks in that school. I just want to make sure I got this correctly :

Lets say I use the fear spells (affect lvl 9 opponents and lower), would it be calculated like this?

Base lvl = 9
    + dual casting = 18
    + vampire= 22,5, meaning that dual casting a fear spell while beeing a vampire would affect lvl 22?

Thx all!

• 739 posts
    October 22, 2012 4:47 PM EDT

In regards to armor and alteration it depends on what difficulty you play, the grade of armor and if you're using a shield. If your taking alteration for paraysis, magicka resistance and the atronach perk then the extra armor rating provided by the flesh spells will certainly help and be the best way of leveling the skill.

If you're a vampire that uses Illusion there is little need for the duel cast perk in my opinion, single casting spells with a 25% bonus is strong enough to influence dragon priests so I wouldn't hurry to take that perk unless you really want to make mammoths and giants fight. Your calculation is correct, the champion of the night bonus is added after your skills and perks have been taken into account. Champion of the night also boosts the fear enchantment on weapons.

If you're looking to save perks I think it may be possible to drop the right side of the illusion tree (animage ->quiet casting) as long as you push illusion hard to reach the adept+ spells. (Making no promises on that one though as I haven't tested it myself)

EDIT

The Vokun mask sounds perfect for this character. It grants Conjuration/Illusion/Alteration a 20% Reduction. It's unusual to run a character with all of those specific skills & heavy armor so be sure to pick that baby up!