Forums » General Gaming

Top 10 Flaws Modern Video Games Shouldn't Have.

• 59 posts
    September 27, 2012 11:28 AM EDT

I found this browsing the internet and thought I would share it with all of you. So what do you think of his top ten?  Agree? Disagree? Add? Subtract? Let us know =D 

http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-flaws-modern-video-games-shouldnt-have.php?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_30900

• 952 posts
    September 27, 2012 11:54 AM EDT
    That's a lot of complaints, some of them are just, and others are just being overly sensitive to some aspects of gameplay.
    • 856 posts
    September 27, 2012 12:34 PM EDT

I more or less agree with the ten.

11.  Physics.  Should be simple to implement - it's just math, computers are perfect for it.  But it seems as if everytime I shoot a wounded sabre cat (or any creature) with my bow the cat goes sailing 100 meters, they should just fall down (or if moving forward, such as in  a charge, allow their momentum to carry them forward a bit)... and don't get me started on gravity.

• 59 posts
    September 27, 2012 12:36 PM EDT

Which ones? Can you give an example =]

• 59 posts
    September 27, 2012 12:37 PM EDT

I agree completly. Realistic physics with behaviour (like the reaction to being stabbed or shot) can really make a game great. It is amusing when the cat goes flying the first few times, but after a while it just gets annoying. 

• 773 posts
    September 27, 2012 1:43 PM EDT

There's some good points there. but I think the argument  would have been stronger if he'd stuck to about six, rather than stretching it to 10.

For example, I've never really even noticed the lack of a pause button on cut scenes. It seems a finicky point to make to be honest.

Quick Time Events and Minigames...meh, its not so much of a problem in games I've played

The one about making us waste time - well, collectibles are only ever for those who want 100% completion or to collect every achievement. I don't have a problem with them putting those in for the minority who can be bothered to do them.

Not sure why Skyrim got picked out for bad enemy AI. I can think of plenty of games where enemies have equally non-existent common sense when put under fire.

The rest all seem pretty fair criticisms 

• 952 posts
    September 27, 2012 4:10 PM EDT

The pause button in cutscenes, the quick time events don't really bother me too, I find that collectibles actually make me replay a game more times because I want them. Talking down on people in commercials? That's not even part of the game itself. He's just ranting, but not really making that good points to me.

• 952 posts
    September 27, 2012 4:39 PM EDT

Not all games have bad AI, just most of them. It really depends on how much the developer spent on developing it. You can usually know this by how much a developer brags about their fantastic AI.