Forums » General Gaming

Skyrim and School - How do you manage?

• 54 posts
    September 19, 2012 9:59 PM EDT

School's been in full swing for awhile (at least in the States) and I've been rarely logging in ANY Skyrim time. Weekends are usually short due to homework and projects.

How do you guys manage?

• 708 posts
    September 19, 2012 11:03 PM EDT

You've got a few choices:

• Skyrim + Good marks = no sleep
    • Skyrim + sleep = bad barks
    • Good marks + sleep = no Skyrim

I'm not sure how it is over in the States/what year you're in but in Australia last year (my last year of school) I managed like several hours most days, still going to bed around 11, and could dedicate more or less an entire weekend day to gaming, and still ended up with an OP (overall positioning) of 5, which I believe was in the top 15% or so of my state - tens of thousands of people.

It really depends on your academic ability and your chosen subjects - I did relatively difficult subjects but still managed fine

• 180 posts
    September 19, 2012 11:43 PM EDT

Like Ponty said, a lot of it comes down to academic ability and the difficulty of subjects. The best ways I found to get more playing time while I was at school was to do all homework the day it is set. If possible do it at school while eating lunch or when you have a free lesson. Another huge help is hand writing homework rather than typing it up. If you do it on the computer you will most likely procrastinate whereas writing by hand will get it done faster.

• 966 posts
    September 20, 2012 1:33 AM EDT

Well, I'm at school at quite a high level, but it's still under my own level. I did that on purpose. I don't really need anything higher, and because it's too easy for me, I don't have to learn and I finish all my homework at school since I'm done with the regular schoolwork early. 

I still sleep very little though. But that isn't because of school.

• 162 posts
    September 20, 2012 2:50 AM EDT

I'd to laugh when I read your choices. This means that good marks lead to a double sure burn-out and no graduation. Good marks are killing. Either you die because of fatigue or you die because of boredom.

You probably know the saying: "All work and no play makes Jack (or Ponty) a dull boy", don't you.

• 162 posts
    September 20, 2012 2:58 AM EDT

Take up typewrite lessons can be helpfull. Typing with ten fingers is way faster than typing with one. You also learn to type blindly, very handy . It will cost you some gaming time now, but in the long run.....

• 162 posts
    September 20, 2012 3:01 AM EDT

God..., in case of school you've the same f*cking attitute as my son.

• 28 posts
    September 20, 2012 4:09 AM EDT

Well I'm at University at the minute(start back properly next week) so I don't put in as much time in gaming as a whole as normal simply because of the workload. If I have a three hour lecture, followed by three or four hours of note writing and stuff, I don't have time to game properly.

• 708 posts
    September 20, 2012 4:30 AM EDT

Hah, I thought all experienced gamers knew how to type quickly

Obviously never played an MMO that doesn't support voice chat with people that you don't know!

• 557 posts
    September 20, 2012 8:28 AM EDT

I actually maintain a very good balance with school, Skyrim, sleep, and a social life.

Class 8-11 everyday (maintaining a 4.0), Skyrim 11-3 everyday, Out with Friends 3-7 everyday, School Work 7-11 everyday, and Sleep 11-6 everyday.

I find it quite easy to find time for it all, but I wish I could find more time to come on here.

• 966 posts
    September 20, 2012 9:32 AM EDT

At what level is he? VMBO? HAVO?

I myself do HAVO, going any higher would be a waist of time, since I really won't need it.

• 162 posts
    September 20, 2012 10:31 AM EDT

Hear, hear. He've done HAVO because he didn't need VWO and did that in a blast. Now he's doing HBO chemistry. It's more difficult as he expected, but the time he spend on it isn't that breath taking imo. But why do you need a university graduation .

• 952 posts
    September 20, 2012 1:05 PM EDT
    Lol, that's like almost no school at all. In secondary school here (normally from when your 12 years old till your 18) you have class from 8:25 till 16:30 if you follow a technical education (I did chemistry). The pros are that you can start working without needing to do higher education. The cons are, well, the ungodly amount of time you have class. So Skyrim combined with school isn't that easy in that situation.
    • 557 posts
    September 20, 2012 1:57 PM EDT
    I'm actually in College studying Advanced Herpotology and Verterinary. Three hours of class per day. Not bad at all, just very difficult.
    • 952 posts
    September 20, 2012 2:48 PM EDT

I studied chemistry at college, just as much class and sometimes even more. That's why I dropped out, it was just too much and I hadn't got any time left for fun. College is fine, but they should really lower the amount of class for some sections, we had the most hours of class of everyone and it was unbearable.

• 144 posts
    September 21, 2012 5:43 PM EDT
    ha, I'm a senior in highschool, I dont have any school work, plus I get home at noon. :)
    • 144 posts
    September 22, 2012 2:52 PM EDT

haha, 8:40 ~ 12:45 :) 5 minutes less than you haha

• 966 posts
    September 22, 2012 3:03 PM EDT

Damn you, I got 9:30 ~ 16:30