Forums » Elder Scrolls

Advice for Kick-Starting Repairing the Phial

• 291 posts
    September 16, 2012 4:07 AM EDT

So, in part of my blog, my character is going to try to repair the White Phial.  This normally wouldn't be a problem for most people, except, I'm not playing the Main Quest on this character.  I know "gaining access" to the Throat of the World is a prerequisite for getting Repairing the Phial to start.  Hmm, however, there is no specific statement as to what exactly that entails.  I have combed the CK up and down and I can't find ANYWHERE where this Throat of the World thing is a prerequisite.

Therefore, I have the following questions:

1. Can Repairing the Phial be kicked off only using console commands?  Thus far, I have noticed that simply doing "startquest MS12b" or "setstage MS12B 10" doesn't do a thing.  The quest does not actually start.

2. Can I simply trigger the map marker at the Throat of the World and successfully start the quest?  I did experiment with this earlier, but after waiting three days, I saw no courier.

3. If none of the above are possible, can the quest be kicked off by going "completequest MQ204" or "setstage MQ204 200", which would complete Throat of the World without actually having to do the main quest.  What would the consequences be for doing so?  Would it be possible to reset and stop the Throat of the World quest so that if I DID decide to do the Main Quest, I wouldn't be totally screwed?

4.  Does anyone know where in the CK the Phial quests actually check to see if Throat of the World is completed?  Or, really, what exactly is checked in-game as the pre-requisite?  If I could locate it in the CK, I could remove the requirement.

5.  Any suggestions as to a work around for this predicament?

I find it odd that they would make part of the Main Quest a requirement, when it is entirely possible to climb up to the Throat of the World without ever seeing Paarthanax.

Appreciate any feedback.

• September 16, 2012 4:25 AM EDT

I can't answer any PC input questions. But I take it you've tried flying up there( with console commands). I was thinking about how you would work this in, I know that if you get to the Throat of the World early Paarthurnax doesn't show up at that point. So I would suggest flying( *wonders how that can be worked in* :P). If flying doesn't work, ask Ponty, he knows way more about the technical stuff.

• 708 posts
    September 16, 2012 4:37 AM EDT

I haven't really messed around with quests so much besides a few buggy stage advances. What advice I can offer:

1. Try setstage MS12b 0
    2. Don't think so
    3. That would probably work, though I'm not sure exactly how the resetquest command works - so you'll probably screw up your main quest.
    4. Not sure, try checking in the courier events, or the first phial quest.
    5. Something that might work - it does for some other stuff I believe - is simply adding the courier's note to your inventory (249af) and read it.
    • 291 posts
    September 16, 2012 11:07 AM EDT

Thank you Ponty.

I actually found the prerequisite in the CK.  Was under the first phial quest, somehow I missed it.  It's just a quest variable, so I went and changed it to MQ104 instead of MQ204.  I didn't want to delete the variable entirely, as that might cause undo glitches.

But it should probably work all right now.  At worst, I have to go back to an earlier save (bummer, but nothing's really happened since Windhelm).