Forums » Elder Scrolls

Spears?

• 54 posts
    August 11, 2012 1:34 PM EDT

It really irritates me that a game developer like Bethesda can make an excuse like, "Spears can't be coded into the engine."

I know nothing about programming but if were heading this feature, using spear you hold left trigger (i'm using an xbox) to aim and let go to throw. Right trigger would stabby stab stab :P

How would you handle this?

• August 11, 2012 1:38 PM EDT

Please one of the developers made a spear animation in a week( albeit it was pretty stiff but it was in a week, and I want my argonian to use a spear damnit!)

• 54 posts
    August 11, 2012 1:40 PM EDT

exactly :/

• 28 posts
    August 11, 2012 1:40 PM EDT

If we could throw them I can say right now that I'd have lost mine after about 5minutes of getting it 

• 54 posts
    August 11, 2012 1:52 PM EDT

You could have them be HIGH damage and very noticeable, but of course hard to acquire.

• 577 posts
    August 11, 2012 4:25 PM EDT

Would you be fine with only one spear? If you throw it, miss and it flies over a cliff, you'd have to go retrieve it. It wouldn't be reasonable to have 50 spears on you. I think Bethesda looks at it like that. But then again, you could carry 10 battle axes if you want. lol But I like the idea of only being able to have one spear. Like some sort of Daedric Spear from one of the princes. You have to pull it out of your victim every time.

• August 11, 2012 5:26 PM EDT

I can't see why it isn't that hard.

And if throwing spears brings up too many complications, don't even add it. I never even thought of being able to throw a spear, I just thought of it as a melee weapon.

But anyway, a throwing spear is usually different than a spear for actual melee combat, I would be totally fine with just spears as a melee weapon, and if they do add throwing spears, I want them to be "Throwing Spears" and not every spear is throw-able. Why not just re-add in the Throwing Weapons skill? Add throwing knives, shurikens, javelins etc.

Oh, and it would be pretty cool if you could use spears with shields for a completely different playstyle.

• 856 posts
    August 11, 2012 7:10 PM EDT

We saw spears in "Gamejam", so we know they can be coded in the engine...spears were included in FO:NV.

I'm curious, do we have a source for "cannot be coded in the engine"?

• August 11, 2012 7:18 PM EDT

I would hardly say Skyrim isn't good and in terms of gameplay it beats the shit out of every other TES game.