Forums » Elder Scrolls

Vampirism in Skyrim

• 557 posts
    July 27, 2012 12:10 AM EDT

Hello Everyone, Emer here! In this topic I'm going to be asking you what your thoughts on Skyrim's vampirism are!

When Skyrim first came out I found vampirism to be very weak. The vampires encountered in the wild would be easily killed and if you were unfortunate enough to become one you could get it cured very easily. 

However, Skyrim's original vampires did have a lot of Lore surrounding them (which I'm sure Vix was thrilled about). The Volkihars sounded not only deadly, but terrifying as well.

Last month when Dawnguard came out for Skyrim I was thrilled! Finally, I could meet up with the Volkihars! This expansion not only made vampires more deadly, it also added the Vampire Lord ability. FINALLY! A reason to stay a vampire! 

Now, what do you all think of Skyrim's original Vampires and the Post-Dawnguard Vampires? Post your thoughts below!

• July 27, 2012 12:12 AM EDT

Do you know when Dawnguard comes out for ps3 users?

• 557 posts
    July 27, 2012 12:13 AM EDT

I believe July 26th.

• 856 posts
    July 27, 2012 12:28 AM EDT

There has been no announcement - it will not be out this month - Pete Hines Twitter.   Also, it requires the 1.7 update, which is still in beta for the PC, but won't be on the PS3 for weeks (source).

• 557 posts
    July 27, 2012 12:30 AM EDT

That's a shame! I'm glad I use an xbox

• 285 posts
    July 27, 2012 12:35 AM EDT
    That sucks for you guys! *begins planning DG teaser picks)
    • 557 posts
    July 27, 2012 12:36 AM EDT

I have to agree. I chose xbox specifically for the early releases

• 162 posts
    July 27, 2012 6:13 AM EDT

Than you'd better choose for the PC version.

• 557 posts
    July 27, 2012 8:57 AM EDT

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that.

People please post your thoughts on Vampirism! 

• 557 posts
    July 27, 2012 9:11 AM EDT

Necromage is always a good perk for a vampire, but plain vanilla vampirism is too dull in Skyrim. There is hardly any benefits to it.

• 739 posts
    July 27, 2012 9:43 AM EDT

I don't think thats true Emer, vampirism comes with an absolute host of benefits when you think about it.

Pro's:-

Immunity to Disease

Immunity to Poison (gimps chaurus and spiders)

25% Boost to all Illusion spells & Illusion Enchantment's

25% Boost to sneak

Toggled Nightvision

Upto 100% Resistance against frost.

Unique once per day powers that scale with your thirst.

Con's

Upto 100% Weakness to Fire

Sun Damage

Chance of everyone butchering you at stage 4 (removed as of Dawnguard I think)

Pathetic drain health spell.

• 557 posts
    July 27, 2012 9:44 AM EDT

I have that move in my Whet-Fang, I know all about it.

• 557 posts
    July 27, 2012 9:51 AM EDT

I tend to play on an Argonian, so the resist disease never really effected me too much. The only things I found to be real benefits are the resistance to frost and the powers, but even then I didn't find myself using them too much. The frost resistance does come in handy against frost dragons though. And I find the Vampiric Drain incredibly useful, but that could be just me.

• 739 posts
    July 27, 2012 9:57 AM EDT

Probably ben, I dont have any saves to go check though.

I vamped my Sorcerer build a few weeks ago as a test and achieved a whopping level 46 Fear enchantment on one of my weapons, necromage perk may have taken it past 50.

• 2 posts
    July 27, 2012 11:05 AM EDT

I mainly use vampirism for roleplay and rarely if ever for power as I see it as a huge advantage that you cant really survive in the day without taking huge precautions.

• 409 posts
    July 27, 2012 12:57 PM EDT
    Yeah dawnguard vampires are pretty godlike especially when you are a dark elf because now it completely gets rid of weakness to fire and there are blood potion, rings and amulets that make your vampire lord form stronger (the rings affect your normal form also), vampire lord, and the ability to blot out the sun (with auriel's bow) you can also feed on people when they are awake although there are 2 things I wish they had done 1: made vampiric drain stronger (I know the bloodstone chalice helps with that but I wanted a stronger health absorb) 2: I wish nonvampire lord vampires still get attacked at stage 4 so you still have the choice to not be OP if I choose to
    • 66 posts
    July 29, 2012 2:33 AM EDT

The only thing I really don't like about vampirism in Skyrim is the way contracting it is handled; you have to stand there while a vampire casts the blood drain on you, forcing you to break character (well for me it did) I would have much preferred it if Babette could be persuaded to make you a vampire.

Aside from that i'm on the PC so still waiting to see what Dawnguard will offer, and what the body count will be.

• 7 posts
    July 29, 2012 2:17 PM EDT

I think that if you're a Vampire Lord other vampires should initially cower in fear then offer to serve you or raid towns or something.

• 557 posts
    July 29, 2012 8:08 PM EDT

See I disagree. I think Vampire's should be hostile towards Vamp Lords, but other Vampire Lords should become allies. 

• 557 posts
    July 29, 2012 8:09 PM EDT

I agree! I think that vampires should be able to sneak into your house and feed on you, or you should contract it by some sort of vapor that they release. The Babette idea sounds good too though,

• 409 posts
    July 29, 2012 8:15 PM EDT

I do think that other vampires should at least notice your a vampire I am not saying they should want to help you or not fight you but they could at least say something about you being one of them

• 2 posts
    July 29, 2012 8:47 PM EDT

I think it's a god idea.. Do yu think you could bceome a werewolf in Dawnguard, get all 11 perks, cure your lycanthropy at you know where, then become a vampire naturally in skyrim and get all vampire perks?

• 557 posts
    July 29, 2012 8:52 PM EDT

You won't be able to be a Vampire Lord, but you can still do all the Werewolf things, then cure it, then do Dawnguard

• 2 posts
    July 29, 2012 8:53 PM EDT

Just read this~ "Depending on what level you are this step will take along time. If you are 70+ it could take minutes; if not it will take hours. In order to get a legendary dragon to appear you must be level 70 or higher and it will just be a random dragon assault so it just comes down to exploring while waiting for the legendary dragon to appear."   So in order to get the Achievement/Trophy (Whenever PS3's comes out) you need to be level 70+..

• 557 posts
    July 29, 2012 8:53 PM EDT

I do as well. I think they should start to attack you, but stop after they realize you're one of them (unless you attack them anyway).