Forums » General Gaming

Sleeping Dogs Impressions

• 82 posts
    June 20, 2012 1:15 PM EDT

Hello All,

I wanted to know if anyone else is following this game.  My interest kind of peaked right before E3. 

Back in the day I was probably in the minority of peole who enjoyed True Crime LA better then all the GTAs.  I always thought being a cop was interesting in these sandbox games.  I know this game isn't associated with True Crime anymore, however many of the features have peaked my interest.

Hand to Hand fighting inspired from Batman Arkham City/Asylum and Hong Kong movies. 

Gun combat which sort of reminds me of the old True Crime with slow motion. 

They actually consulted with GSP (champion MMA fighter) about the combat.  I'm a UFC fan so I don't think this will be noticed by most people.

An intriguing story involving an undercover cop.  How much Bad are you willing to do, to do Good?

Driving inspired by Need for speed - I am terrible at racing games, and I felt one of the worst things about all the GTA games was the driving.  Apparently the driving is much better. 

Set in Hong Kong.  Which has been done by a few games but not many. 

So I feel that an IGN article summed up my thoughts on this game perfectly.  The sum of its parts will either make it awsome or it will come crashing down.

Any thoughts positive or negative about this game?

I feel like it checks a lot of boxes for me personally but maybe not for everyone. 

• 297 posts
    June 20, 2012 1:25 PM EDT

I have been following this one for months before e3 it's going too be something special,

I always think of the old chow yun fat detective movies i love the tokyo setting,

I also think its unfair too compare this too the obviously suggested gta series because its going too play so much different from it,Graphically it stomps all over Gta 4, which is a 2 year old game now also the setting is going too bring this sandbox east which i love,

• 82 posts
    June 20, 2012 1:32 PM EDT

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/122/1220937p1.html  Here is the IGN article that got me interested.

Agree with everything you said Titan. 

I like the combat, and it seems a little more grounded in reality then say the Batman games. 

I think definately will be better then GTA 4.  Although I have to be honest, I just couldn't get into that game. 

I really want to love this game, however I do have a few concerns going in, I guess we'll see. 

• 297 posts
    June 20, 2012 1:45 PM EDT

Agreed with the concerns some of the gameplay i have seen seems linear not tha combat but the actual camera angles and how the vehicles seem too handle heres a preview which may explain my concerns

• 82 posts
    June 20, 2012 1:51 PM EDT

argh, I'm at work, can't look at it yet till I get home.  I don't think I've seen this video yet. 

• 297 posts
    June 20, 2012 1:56 PM EDT

il add another as i said i have been watching this game develop for months now,

• 82 posts
    June 20, 2012 2:10 PM EDT

Thanks Titan.  I was seriously thinking I was alone in the world for being excited about this game.  I will check out all these videos when i get home.  I was watching a video on gametrailers with the combat, I was kind of worried because there was some definite gamey moments where the person seem to awkwardly block.  It just didn't seem that fluid, but who knows.  I read that they are doing a demo, I wonder when that will come out.  I think the demo will make it or break it for me. 

• 82 posts
    June 20, 2012 2:13 PM EDT

FYI - if you are interested in the Triads, there is a history podcast that talks all about them.  Look up The China History Podcast on Itunes.  Look for the Triad episode.  It was interesting, those are some evil dudes. 

• 82 posts
    June 21, 2012 9:10 AM EDT

Hey Titan, watched some of the videos.  I think one thing that's hard to judge is the combat system by watching it.  In some videos it doesn't seem very smooth.  In others there is a lot more flow.  Just like the Batman games I believe your hand to hand skills get upgraded.  So early it might seem kind of choppy but once you've unlocked everything you begin to flow like Donnie Yen in Ip Man. 

• 297 posts
    June 21, 2012 9:23 AM EDT

well its dropping in mid august,

I will be getting it and reviewing it on here to see if the community should get it or not,

• 82 posts
    June 21, 2012 11:04 AM EDT

Thanks Titan, apparently it's just and I that are excited for this game.  I feel like it has a lot of potential but it could still be just another GTA if not executed right.  We shall see. 

• 773 posts
    June 21, 2012 11:20 AM EDT

Thanks for the heads up. I'd not even heard about this game

The word 'sandbox' always piques my interest, so I look forward to hearing how it shapes up when its released

• 13 posts
    June 21, 2012 11:39 AM EDT
    Looks like gta4 with fighting perks and grafic updates.fun but..... Watchdogs looks far better and more intristing.
    • 82 posts
    June 21, 2012 11:46 AM EDT

Yes, Skyrim kind of fills up all I need for the more fantasy open world genre.  i was looking for something different when i heard about this.  I hope it's done right!

• 82 posts
    August 14, 2012 9:50 AM EDT

Ok this game is getting good reviews.  Hey Titan how your playthrough going?

I'll probably pick this up this weekend or today...

• 297 posts
    August 14, 2012 9:59 AM EDT

i havent got it yet paiea im in europe so it doesnt drop for another 3 days i think im going to be getting the pc version with the high res pack so as soon as its available i will get it and start reviewing it on here il pm you when i have my review up probably this weekend at some stage hopefully sooner il let you know bud,

• 297 posts
    August 14, 2012 10:01 AM EDT

what an odd comparison you literally only drew that connection because they both have the word dog in the title,

strange thing too say lol completely different games

• 577 posts
    August 14, 2012 10:17 AM EDT

This doesn't look bad, but really doesn't grab me. Not a $60 "grab me". I can see myself checkin this out in 6-8 months when it's price has gone down. From the reviews, it's anywhere from 10-20hrs to complete which puts me on the fence also. I do always like a good story and it appears to have one. Not always a fan of "present" time games. I kinda need some sort of future or past aspects.

I'm still waiting for an Ancient Asian, rpg, open-world, organic, barbaric themed game with a cool engine like skyrims (you know what I mean)

• 297 posts
    August 14, 2012 10:23 AM EDT

I hear ya man with this title its a total throw-back too the old hongkong detective movies which i am a total sucker for lol heres a recent review,

• 82 posts
    August 14, 2012 10:45 AM EDT

Thanks.  I look forward to it.  i may not wait to purchase it though.  i might have to get it today. 

• 297 posts
    August 14, 2012 10:49 AM EDT

in that case you do the review and regail me with your adventures lol

• 577 posts
    August 14, 2012 2:16 PM EDT

Wow...lol I'm really considering this now. I'm still going to wait a little. "Gangsta"-like games have never appeal to me, but I may make an acception after watching this. This game's a back burner for me. Ugh....I still got other games to finish! lol

This definitely looks longer than 10-20hrs. Not sure what those reviewers were talking about. Maybe if you just power bash through the main quest. Plus I shred at Karaoke

• 377 posts
    August 14, 2012 3:02 PM EDT

It's a chinese GTA. I love GTA, but right now the price is a little steep. But I'll def get it when the time is right.

• 82 posts
    August 15, 2012 10:58 AM EDT

Yea I'm a little torn over the shortness of the story campaign.  I hope the DLC gives other stuff to do.  Don't much time to play anyways so I haven't picked up yet.  I'm still on the fence.