Forums » Elder Scrolls

Your Favorite School of Magic?

• 338 posts
    February 6, 2014 2:43 PM EST

The title really says it all. Which of the Schools of Magic (including enchanting) is your favorite, and why? Is there an interesting story about why you have a favorite? Be sure to share it in the comments.

My personal favorite school is Conjuration. It's the most useful in a variety of situations, and it the most supplemental to other skills like archery and one and two handed. 

• 194 posts
    February 6, 2014 2:56 PM EST

Gameplay wise? Conjuration. I love summoning things.

"Lore" wise? Alteration. It's in the name. Simple alteration of the world around you. I wish the game implemented even more powerful spells under this school. As Savos Aren said, magic can shape or destroy worlds. I'd prefer to shape them.

• 338 posts
    February 6, 2014 3:00 PM EST

I have to agree with you, there. When I write about magical characters, I go nuts with what they can do with Alteration magic. 

My favorite move is changing your body's density so you float up into the air, and then making yourself way more dense than normal (like 100x more dense) and landing on people. 

• 158 posts
    February 6, 2014 3:08 PM EST

As a longtime player of clerics in all sorts of RPGs, Restoration in its various forms is my favorite school of magic, but it tends to be underpowered in TES.  Dragonborn is finally bringing in some of the more useful offensive Restoration skills.  Oblivion had a few, but they weren't very effective.

• 338 posts
    February 6, 2014 3:18 PM EST

I am reminded of this. 

Anyways, I wouldn't say Restoration is my favorite, but there never is a time I use magic and don't take at least adept restoration.

• 7 posts
    February 6, 2014 3:19 PM EST
    Conjuration, hands down. Not to bring in other games, but I was blown away by the necromancer in Diablo 2, thus I've always delved into a necromancer-type character in my RPGs after this experience. In Skyrim you can just wipe the floor with summons and mix and match the playstyle. Bound weapons add even more cool stuff to this favorite.
    • 158 posts
    February 6, 2014 3:25 PM EST

It's very effective in other settings…I don't rely on it in TES.  But it's still my favorite school of magic, regardless.

• 158 posts
    February 6, 2014 4:52 PM EST

Loool.  If only there were actually attractive robes out there for magic users...

• Jen
    • 88 posts
    February 6, 2014 4:57 PM EST

Conjuration, for me it's the most fun and the most useful. And when I play Mages, I like for them to have a darker edge. Been using Illusion a lot though lately with my  Breton Arch-Mage Evelyn (who wants to explore all schools of magic), and I have more of an appreciation for it. Never used it too much before, but I am having a lot fun with it.

• 32 posts
    February 7, 2014 8:04 PM EST
    It's under the sign of the thief I thought
    • 32 posts
    February 7, 2014 8:06 PM EST
    Illusion has always been one of my favorites because of quiet casting and fury.

I love being able to infuriate bandits and beasts alike into turning on their brethren.

Calm is pretty great too if your not a murderous character.