Forums » Elder Scrolls

The College of Winterhold to little or to much?

• 426 posts
    January 12, 2012 10:54 AM EST

The College of winterhold questline was the first that I started properly on my first game. I was a mage so wanted to get properly involved in their storylines.

I found the that they had one of the longer questlines with an excellent final battle. There was even little side quests for each of the different scholars of magic. The addition of the mysterious Psyjic (I know thats wrong lol) order further enhanced my playthrough.

I revelled in the quest right up to the climatic final battle. I felt that the narrative suddenly stopped. I was looking forward to finding out the secrets to the mysterious visitors.

How did everyone else find the questline, was it enough or were you left wanting more?

• 15 posts
    January 12, 2012 12:20 PM EST
    It was pretty decent, I would like to have explored the psijic order a bit more. The final battle was fun, but with the acquired staffs and stuff it seemed a bit easy.
    • 773 posts
    January 12, 2012 12:47 PM EST

The College is the one Guild that I've played fully, and I felt in lacked in several ways

1. Too short - needed more filling out with additional quests and, of course, ranks. The sudden transition from complete rookie to Archmage was jarring and unrealisticĀ 

2. The College itself didn't feel like a real College. There were no lectures, no sense of being a 'working' educational institution - just a lot people wandering around aimlessly. The Library looked pretty decent, but most of the bookshelves were only there for show, and wasn't as epic as it could have been.

3. Whilst the Psjiic Order were a nice, lore-friendly touch, their interjections were not fully explained or explored. As a result they simply felt like a 'Get out of Jail' card for people wanting to complete the quests quickly.

4. It was good that they used Saarthal and Labyrinthian from a lore-point of view, but I couldn't help feeling a little disappointed that they weren't more epic. That's particularly true for Laybrinthian, which wasn't actually a Labyrinth at all, just an (admittedly very good) dungeon in the style of many others in the game. So that was a bit of missed opportunity to make something that would be literally a maze-like labyrinth that you could very easily get lost in.

So, whilst I enjoyed it, and felt it did a good job to incorporate a lot of Skyrim lore, I ended up feeling a bit rushed into the Archmage positionĀ